Unlikely Heroes Part 1
- Russ Kapusinski
- Oct 29, 2006
- Series: Judges
Unlikely Heroes Part 1...Judges 6: 1, 6-17, 22-27
I. We embrace a Gospel understanding of our circumstances.
A) Broken by Legacy (passed on to us)
B) Broken by Choice
C) Just Plain Broken (the world we live in is broken)
II. We need a Life Transforming Encounter with God
A) Place (He meets us where we are)
B) Prophet (God sends us His word)
C) Pernality (He reshapes us)
III. Our new identity is rooted in the proper Alter of God.
A) Peace with God by a substitute.
B) The family resemblance.
October 29,2006-Community Group Questions & Reflections
1. Play the game high/low. Share both a high point from your last week and a low point. Pray for each other as you begin your time together.
Read Selected Passages On Page 7
(Read Judges 6-8 Prior to Community group Gathering)
2. What is most striking to you about the story of Gideon? Why is Gideon an "unlikely hero?"
3. How does this story help you to understand hardships in your own life? How does Gideon's struggle with faith encourage you in your Christian pilgrimage?
4. Steve Farrar wrote a book entitled Finishing Strong. Farrar's book is an encouragement to Christians to not grow faint in living for Jesus throughout the whole of our lives. Gideon didn't finish strong. Discuss ways we can finish strong and the dangers of not doing so for our children and future generations.
5. In this past week's sermon entitled: "Unlikely heroes" what was most striking to you, raised questions or gave you a new insight into the world in which we live, your life or what it means to follow Jesus?
6. Where do you see your need for the gospel from these passages? Where do you see your need for the perfect life of Jesus lived for you and his death for you in this text?
7. What one thing from our discussion has been impressed upon you most during our Community Group? Where have you fallen short of Jesus' requirements and need the gospel once again in your own life? Share and pray for one another.